I had a long hot cycle across West Baltimore this evening to get to Leakin Park and followed the Gwynn Falls Trail through the Park and out the other to side to find Fred's Garage. It was a little like a treasure hunt, that I had been sent on my a post on the MDOsprey list saying there were Yellow-crowned night herons nesting there. Once I got to Fred's Garage, I paddled up and down Dead Run (what a relief the cold water was after a hot cycle) until I saw some big scraggy nests in the trees (about 40 feet up). Fortunate not to be directly under the nests, I maanged to get some rather good (and certainly identifiable) pictures. So now I have seen both of Maryland's Night Herons - not a bad end to Father's Day!
Sunday, 19 June 2011
Dead Run, Leakin Park (+119)
I had a long hot cycle across West Baltimore this evening to get to Leakin Park and followed the Gwynn Falls Trail through the Park and out the other to side to find Fred's Garage. It was a little like a treasure hunt, that I had been sent on my a post on the MDOsprey list saying there were Yellow-crowned night herons nesting there. Once I got to Fred's Garage, I paddled up and down Dead Run (what a relief the cold water was after a hot cycle) until I saw some big scraggy nests in the trees (about 40 feet up). Fortunate not to be directly under the nests, I maanged to get some rather good (and certainly identifiable) pictures. So now I have seen both of Maryland's Night Herons - not a bad end to Father's Day!
Labels:
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment