Just before lunch, I saw someone had posted on facebook that there was a Painted Bunting in Glenndale, MD. Usually found down in Texas or somewhere, this was a great bird to turn up in Baltimore, and all the better for being a wonderful mix of blue, red and yellowy-green. Even this terrible photo is enough to ID it by!
After biding my time over lunch, I jumped in the car and drove the hour to find it. Once I got there there were 4 or 5 other people, sme of whom had seen it, so it was just a matter of being patient in spite of the heat (96) and looking. Eventually it turned up on a number of trees in the area (and is still being seen today). I wonder how long it has been there unnoticed and how long it'll stay. And where it came from!
Spurred on by that success, I went out this morning to look for a Kentucky Warbler. A beautiful yellow bird with a black mask, this is a skulker, staying in undergrowth in wet areas, so not that easy to find, but I did, just in time to head home and go out. No pics, as I saw it through cracks in bushes and briefly, but no doubt at all (Life Bird No. 704). I also heard and saw Worm-eating Warblers and heard lots of Yellow-billed Cuckoos.

No comments:
Post a Comment