There is something wonderful about the thought of the huge wave of northbound migrants washing over the US. Rather than being an intrepid explorer going out in search of birds, city birding during migration is much more a matter of seeing what serendipity washes your way.
Patterson Park in Baltimore is a medium-sized patch on green in the city, big enough to funnel in migrants and small enough to find them when they're there. This year it had a great selection, from warblers to vireos, tanagers to thrushes. The star birds for me, were a Lark Sparrow, which I missed out on, and a couple of cracking city birds I found (rarely do I find really good birds myself) a Clapper Rail which showed well in the mini wetland, and a Black-billed Cuckoo, a doubly rare self-found life bird. Good birding!
Patterson Park in Baltimore is a medium-sized patch on green in the city, big enough to funnel in migrants and small enough to find them when they're there. This year it had a great selection, from warblers to vireos, tanagers to thrushes. The star birds for me, were a Lark Sparrow, which I missed out on, and a couple of cracking city birds I found (rarely do I find really good birds myself) a Clapper Rail which showed well in the mini wetland, and a Black-billed Cuckoo, a doubly rare self-found life bird. Good birding!
No comments:
Post a Comment