Saturday, 12 March 2011

Middle Branch Park (+14)


Early morning start to Middle Branch, gradually warming up. Song and white-throated sparrows, juncos, robins, starlings, blue birds, carolina wren (very vocal), grackles, mallards, buffelhead, lesser scaup, cardinals, r-b gulls, crows. Spent a very long time trying to get close enough to identify a small hawk, which I am almost satisfied was a sharp-shinned hawk (no. 84) - just about satisified enough to count it (based on small size, small head, suggestion of a square tail), but not enough not to worry. I may have seen an osprey carrying a reed, but I didn't get a good look (may be too early for them to be nesting). On the way back, I pulled into the Harbor Hospital carpark after seeing a little bird in the water, and was reward with a Horned Grebe (no. 85; pic above).

No comments:

Post a Comment