A truly birdiful morning walk at Celery Bog, before a day of work at Purdue. Starting at sunrise, the lake itself had mallards, Blue-winged teal, wood ducks, canada geese, white-fronted goose, great blue herons, belted kingfisher, american crows, d-c cormorants and a couple of hawks that I’d take a stab at Red-tailed and Sharp-shinned for. Towards 8am I started to see lots of warblers, and ended up with yellowthroat, redstart, Pine, Yellow-rumped, Magnolia, and Black-throated Green Warblers, Tennesse and Nashville Warbler (two identified targets), Northern Parula, and a bonus of a pretty little black capped Wilson’s Warbler! At points they we so frequent that it was difficult to tell what was what – in the end I focused on Tennessee and Nashville. I suspect I may have seen Bay-breasted as well, but no where near well enough
Other birds included tufted titmice, cardinals, barn swallows, downy woodpecker, bluebirds, catbird, and a very good look at a Red-eyed Vireo (a slightly dubious previous tick). The only disappointment was not to see any thrushes (Swainson’s was a hopeful). Perhaps I will return after work to see if there are any more.
A return trip after work was clearly called for - and after waiting out torrential rain, I was rewarded with some new birds for the day - chimney swifts, green herons, red-breasted nuthatches, chestnut-sided warbler and some new birds for the list - a Philadelphia Vireo and my first North American owl, a Great Horned Owl (pic).
No comments:
Post a Comment