Set out at 4am. My first birding outing to Western Maryland. I managed to waste the best bit of the morning on the wrong bit of Old Legislative Road (although I did see a PURPLE FINCH and a possible MERLIN?). Once I found the right bit, I did manage to find lots of HENSLOW'S (a life bird) and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, and an EASTERN MEADOWLARK (another life bird, pic below). No warblers seen at all ( but i may not have been looking in ten right spots). Then I went up to Finzel where I didn't see any flycatchers or anything exciting. Next stop was New GermanyState Park to try for Blackburnian W (I threw together the itinerary off ebird). No joy, but I did see BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER that I missed inmigration and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES (another year bird). Then I left out the back over the hills to go to Russell Road, where I was treated to loads more meadowlarks, a loose flock of over twenty BOBOLINKS (another year bird) and some very noisy circling Killdeer. Back at 10. Time for sleep.
Saturday, 30 June 2012
Western MD for the day
Set out at 4am. My first birding outing to Western Maryland. I managed to waste the best bit of the morning on the wrong bit of Old Legislative Road (although I did see a PURPLE FINCH and a possible MERLIN?). Once I found the right bit, I did manage to find lots of HENSLOW'S (a life bird) and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, and an EASTERN MEADOWLARK (another life bird, pic below). No warblers seen at all ( but i may not have been looking in ten right spots). Then I went up to Finzel where I didn't see any flycatchers or anything exciting. Next stop was New GermanyState Park to try for Blackburnian W (I threw together the itinerary off ebird). No joy, but I did see BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER that I missed inmigration and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES (another year bird). Then I left out the back over the hills to go to Russell Road, where I was treated to loads more meadowlarks, a loose flock of over twenty BOBOLINKS (another year bird) and some very noisy circling Killdeer. Back at 10. Time for sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment