Following on from Keith's sighting, I went down to look for crossbills this afternoon. About ten minutes after I arrived, I heard some high-pitched twittering overhead and saw a tight flock of 11-15 birds flying over. I am not sufficiently skilled to identify on hearing the call alone. I
had listened to the calls before going out on the suggestion of Kevin, and they certainly sounded "interesting". They were traveling north-east along the hemlock line on the northern limit of the Cemetary. I did not see them alight, or get a picture. I did note strong white wing marks and strong red coloration of the bodies of some of the birds. I cannot think of any similar bird to rule out. Of the common red birds, the wing markings rule out cardinal, house finch, red crossbill and i doubt ruling out Pine Grosbeak is important. They flew in a relatively tight flock, and swapped positions within the flock, making the count problematic. 11 is a lower limit, best guess is 13-15. Interested to know of this is sufficient for confirmation, following the recent discussion. Known at location, as per Keith Crossley 9 days previous. I did not refind in the subsequent hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment