Thursday, 11 December 2014

Hong Kong birding is hard

Another early start to hike round to a local reservoir.  Most of the way round it was too dark to see anything and once it got light the thick undergrowth makes seeing birds extremely tough.  It is common to have a medium-sized bird calling ten feet from you just above eye level and not be able to see it at all...
However, this morning did turn up some new birds.  Shortly after arriving at the reservoir (which was devoid of ducks, grebes, or waders), a Red-billed Blue Magpie called over the other side.
Then halfway round, I found three Masked Laughingthrush,  one of the commonest birds I had yet to find,
and also a Streak-breasted Scimitar-Babbler, being extremely reluctant to show itself.
At about this point, it started threatening to rain, and I decided to turn back.  I left via an area of the University, where I found a few warblers, among them a Pallas's Leaf Warbler.
Then, coming back to the University campus I am staying on, a Yellow-crested Cockatoo called from atop a skyscraper.
So, five more lifers, taking the trip to 14, but a strong sense of diminishing returns.
With an hour to spare, and renewed strength after breakfast, I went back out to the same area as yesterday morning.  I found a Grey-headed Canary-flycatcher and a female Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker, and I suspect there is more to find. Tomorrow I am going to Mai Po, which is supposed to be the best site in Hong Kong, so that should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment