Since I went to Brazil three years ago, I have figured out a bunch of tricks to see more birds when I go places. The main one is to know more about birds. And that all boils down to working out where to get the information from.
For every trip, my first port-of-call is ebird. As an ebird user, I can search for target species, e.g. world lifers I have never seen. Even if you don't use ebird, you can use it to pull up month-by-month lists of birds seen in a given country city or state.
Beyond that, I have got a highly rated field guide for the area, Viney, and marked it up against the ebird lists.
And then this morning, I found a great free app of Hong Kong species, with photos and even better audio (although not for everything).
The other amazing resource is birdingpal.org, which lets generous local birders show off their patch to visitors. Way cheaper than guides and just as good in most places.
So, I'm ready to go... in fact such good shape, I think I'm upgrading my expectations to 40-50 lifers for the trip. Time will tell, and therein lies the fun of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment