Friday, 21 January 2011

Birds I have not yet seen

This is a rather ludicrous post, since there are over 10,000 bird species worldwide, and I have thus far only seen 58, but there are nonetheless some surprising omissions in the list. The first is the American Robin which is seemingly everywhere until you decide to count birds. I would be surprised if I go another week without seeing one. The next is the Baltimore Oriole, of which I have never seen a single one, if only because of its name. Another geographically linked bird is the Great Blue Heron, Maryland's state bird, which is common-ish around these parts and we have seen from the balcony in the past.

It is easy when outside in the rather cold weather to feel that the cold must be keeping sensible birds hidden, but on reflection, I think that winter is a great season to start in - no leaves to lose birds behind. I think it must get much more complicated.

Other birds I have seen in the past in Baltimore or MD, but not yet this year: downy woodpecker, night heron, catbird, goldfinch, flicker, bluebird... there must be others. Some of these are summer-only, so unsurprising, but it's good to know that there are 'easy' birds still to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment